Port Eynon and the Gower…

Last Bank Holiday weekend the housies, dogs and I went on a little camping trip to Port Eynon in South Wales. Being the workaholic that I am I could not join the till the Sunday morning. I was extremely lucky (and thankful) that one of my work mates was heading in that direction for the theatre dark days, so I managed to get a lift up after the last Porgy and Bess.

Sunday started outside cooking bacon and sausage sarnies, and me sorting out my sleeping compartment. We then all bundled in the car and went off down the lanes to Three Cliffs Bay. It is a beautiful part of the coast, made of sandiness, huge hills and sheer cliffs. It’s a dog-friendly beach so the were in heaven, especially Mojo, who was let off his lead which we can’t normally do at home.

There is rock climbing, swimming if your brave enough, and pony tracks on the beach, which I suppose means it horse friendly too. Whilst mojo was making friends we walked over the dunes and the beach, under the cliff arch and down to the sea. (At the cliff arch was a gorgeous basset hound with the deepest woof ever, who was quite content digging to Australia whilst his owners climbed.)

It was a lovely sunny day, and I imagine in high season the beach is packed, full of surfers and families – even if the walk back to the car park is like climbing a mini mountain!

The evening consisted of fish and chips, gin and cards. Because camping.

We were aware that the Monday wasn’t meant to be great weather (it’s a bank holiday – when is it ever nice?) and let’s just say the weather people were not wrong. As we finished our games and hopped into our sleeping bags the rain started. It wasn’t cold, and I had a husky as a bed warmer anyway.

It rained all night – we suffered no leaks, just that general camping dampness.

Weather aside we still determinedly went ahead to Llangennith beach, wrapped up to the nines. We parked in Hillend Carpark and crossed the dunes to the beach. This is a surfers paradise rain or shine, so it was rather busy up that end. We headed off down the deserted end and  were able to let both Misty and Mojo off the lead – and they were so well behaved.

 One windy and wet walk later we went back to the tent.

Once more the evening consisted of cards, gin, fish and chips and walking to the toilet block in the dark in the rain – Joy!

Am I totally selling camping to you?

The next day we packed everything up in the Micra – except me. I got the Megabus back. Trust me there was no room inside that car. The bus only cost me £7.

For me, it was far too short a weekend, but we all had fun, and I can see this becoming a regular thing.
In warmer months that is.
I’ll end this post with a picture of the prettiest boy on the beach!
Much Love

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s